Saturday, December 12, 2009

Marry me David Tutera

If you know anything about me, you know I love reality TV. Thank goodness for Tivo which makes it possible for me to catch up on all 100 of reality shows after Cash (my 1 year old son) goes to bed.

One of my favorite shows is My Fair Wedding with David Tutera. I would die for this man. Literally. I am known for being a little sassy, and sometimes saying what is on my mind without thinking first, and so is he. We are a match made in heaven.

Being in the wedding industry, I guess I just assume that some things are obvious when it comes to planning a wedding. Well, I was wrong. By watching My Fair Wedding, I have learned that to some people, nothing is off limits. In order to make this a little less complicated, I have compiled a list of wedding do's and dont's that David Tutera and I can both agree on.

1. Emerald Green and Purple are a HUGE no no for wedding colors. In fact, these colors are not appropriate for ANY occation. Oh wait, Mardi Gras. Yep. That's about that only time these colors would be appropriate.

2. Balloons are not for weddings. They are for children's birthday parties and High School Homecoming floats. No balloon arches. No balloon centerpieces. No no no.

3. A strip tease is never appropriate for your first dance at your wedding reception. Seriously. (Yes Shauna, you MAY take off your garter to "Cherry Pie")

4. Enough with the tulle! I can deal with a little bit of tulle. (And by a little bit, I mean 1/2 a yard) But really ladies...really? Dresses made of tulle. Table cloths made of tulle. Chair covers made of tulle. Ugh. Itchy, wrinkly, and messy. Those are the three words that come to mind when I think of tulle.

5. A brides bouquet (actually ANY bouquet) should NEVER be made of sponges. I'm just gonna throw that one out there.

6. A brides bouquet (or any bouquet for that manner) should never be made of hot glue, glitter, and fake flowers.

7. Actually, just stay away from hot glue as much as possible when it comes to making things for your wedding.

8. Actually, just stay away from making things for your wedding as much as possible. That is what professionals are for.

9. A sun dress is NOT the same as a wedding dress.

10. Please limit the number of items you place in your hair on your wedding day. You do not need a tiara, veil, flower, pendant, and glitter all at once. I think one or two items should be sufficient. One would be even better, but I can deal with two.

11. Wedding dresses are typically white or ivory. Lets stay away from colored undergarments.

12. If you live in the same city as the venue where you wedding will be held, go view it in person. Do not book it online. If you are unable to see your wedding venue in person because you are having a destination wedding, be sure to do tons of research. Make sure that you know exactly what you are getting. Read reviews, make a few phone calls, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

13. In general, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Don't be lazy. This is your wedding! I know it can be overwhelming, but this is a very important day. Be sure that the vendors that you are going to be dealing with can deliver exactly what you want, at a price you can afford.

14. Trends change, and they change quickly. What was considered "cool" or "cute" 10 years ago, may not be considered cool now.

15. Have some manners on your wedding day. No one wants to see you in your beautiful gown, drunk, swearing, and burping with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. Feel free to take an etiquette class if necessary.

I am saying all of these things and I am half joking. Well, actually, I am dead serious, but I am saying them in a joking manner.

My point is, if you think you know everything, let me just tell you right now, you don't. Wedding professionals do. Trust what they say. Before you even think about planning a wedding, sit down and figure out what is important to you. Times are rough financially and everyone is on a budget. You need to invest your money into what is important to you on your special day. Call around and get pricing for everything that is on your WANT list for your wedding. When you snap back into reality because you find out how much things REALLY cost, narrow that down to the NEED list. I always recommend hiring an event and/or wedding planner in your area. This will relieve a ton of stress. They are familiar with vendors in your area, and more importantly, the different vendors style and pricing. They can point you in the right direction and help you create the wedding of your dreams on your budget.

PS I am so excited because Lauren and I have a couple new things that we will be doing on the blog. Everyone keep posted because they all involve our readers!

PSS I now have 8 followers on this blog! YES!


xoxox
Allyson Stagg
CEO of The Las Vegas Style Sirens
www.LVStyleSirens.com
LVStyleSirens@yahoo.com

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for a good laugh Allyson! Some good advice here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love David Tutera & My Fair Wedding too!!

    A bride's bouquet should never be made of...candy too. Did you like that episode with the candy crazed bride?

    Thank you for promoting the awesome idea/recommendation of hiring a wedding planner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a tulle dress....:( haha love the ideas...

    ReplyDelete