Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shimmer down ladies.

Today I would like to talk about something that can be extremely offensive to me. Shimmer. Come on ladies. I know you know what I am talking about. Shimmer eyeshadow. Shimmer blush. Shimmer foundation. Frosty lipstick. UGH!

I see this tragedy on a daily basis. Beautiful women who unfortunately overdose on shimmer. RIP.

When you are at a cosmetic store or counter, I have found that many times the employees there are commission based. In these rough economic times, that is a hard way to earn your paycheck. I firmly believe that they will tell you ANYTHING looks good on you just to get that sale. I have tested this theory several times.

I once walked into a store that carried nothing but cosmetics and applied the most hideous shade of purple lipstick that I could find. (Please note I also had zero makeup on besides the lipstick which made that stupid lipstick look much worse than it really was.) I then ventured out to find the nearest employee to ask their opinion of this particular shade knowing perfectly well how ridiculous I looked. (WAIT... keep reading. It gets better) Before I could even find an employee, a cute little blond employee hunted me down and told me that lipstick was an amazing color on me and I just HAD to get it for spring. Barf. I was in shock. Either she lied strait to my face (which I am hoping was the case) or she ACTUALLY thought this shade of lipstick looked good on me. Which brings me to my next point...

Uninformed employees.

It is one thing to lie to me to make a commission off of my sale, however it is a totally different story to be uninformed on trends, color theory, or the product line that you are representing. (Both are equally as disgusting.) Not to long ago, I walked up to a cosmetic counter to try and find a new foundation (I change my foundation more often than I change my underwear.) and was greeted by an adorable girl. She was friendly, and we had a wonderful little chat. I told her I needed a new foundation for summer and that I tend to get shiny due to the hell-like weather conditions here. She pulled out a cream foundation, slathered it on my cheek and said that was the one I should buy. I quickly told her I would think about it and scurried away. Had I not been a makeup artist, I probably would have bought it and called it a day, however, I know better than that. When I told her I get sweaty and shiny (Sexy...right?) in the summer, the LAST thing she should have tried to sell me was a cream foundation. All that is going to do is make me shine like the sun (not in a good way) and my foundation would be separation station 5 minutes after I walk out the door. Not to mention, it was about 3 shades to dark for my super fair complexion. What bums me out the most about this, is that she really thought this was the foundation for me. (*Ally starts to tear up*)

The point of these stories is, not every "beauty professional" you meet is really a professional. So please, do a little of your own research BEFORE you go cosmetic shopping so you will be properly informed. And by do a little research, I mean read our beauty "blog" on a daily basis or email us at LVStyleSirens@yahoo.com with any questions you might have.

As far as shimmer goes, I like to stick to these basic rules:

1) On a daily basis I think it is appropriate to stick to one (Yes, ONE) shimmery eyeshadow on your eye at a time. I like to put a light (almost flesh tone) shimmer underneath the brow bone, or a simple shimmery shade swept across the eyelid. A heavy hand never comes in handy when you are working with shimmer.

2) Unless you are a 15 year old girl with flawless skin, lets stay away from any type of shimmer in a foundation. Shimmer will make your pores look 5 times bigger than they actually are, and who really wants that?

3) If you MUST use a shimmery blush, keep it on the apple of the cheeks and use a matte to contour the rest. Or better yet, use a matte blush, and highlight your upper cheekbone with a soft shimmer highlight powder. BEAUTY!!!!!

4) Frosty lipstick...oh man. There are a few frosty colors that are just beautiful (MAC'S Bombshell and Wild 'Bout You to name a few) However, frosty lipsticks must be applied correctly. To apply them correctly, always use a corresponding lip liner and DO NOT over draw your lips. The frost brings unnecessary attention to the fact that you overdrew your lips. That is never good.

5) Please remember that shimmer means to "gleam faintly" (yes I actually looked up the definition in the dictionary.) It does not mean "big chunks of confetti glitter that I would find all over my floor after my son's first birthday party." Please keep this in mind. Chunky glitter is for 3 people. Stage performers. People stuck in 1987. And hookers. If you do not fall in one of those categories, please refrain from wearing it. This includes gunky gel glitter eyeliners, loose glitter of any sort (unless it is one of the reflects glitters from MAC which are beautiful and totally acceptable if used properly.) glitter mascara, and especially glitter lotion. It was cool when we were in 4th grade, however, I don't think your clients would be all that impressed if you showed up with glitter in your cleavage. Or maybe they would. Guess it depends on what kind of profession you are in, and what kind of people you want to attract. Regardless, you get my point.

If you stick to these simple rules about shimmer, I can guarantee you will look and feel so much younger! People will notice a difference. I know it can be scary to jump out of your comfort zone, but give it a whirl. Matte is never a scary thing, and it looks beautiful on everyone.

Although a tiny bit of shimmer can make you look youthful and refreshed, just remember too much shimmer can age you 50 years. Seriously.

xoxox
Allyson Stagg
CEO of The Las Vegas Style Sirens

No comments:

Post a Comment